THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Aliye's Top Ten of 2005

Ahhhhh! Its finally here, like anyone cares. Since you read all my colleague's opinion on the best films of last year. Now let's hear mine, it's gonna suck! In no particular order, except for # 1, that's my favorite of the year.
1. Turtles Can Fly-Dir.Bhaman Ghobadi
I don't know man, but this stuck with me for awhile. Rarely seen Kurdish cinema that doesn't infuse American politics in the mix, but shows out it is. Although filmed in 2004 and released in very limited release in 2005, its now out on DVD and is worth it. If you like this check out the other director's "Time of Drunken Horses".
2. Mysterious Skin-Dir.Greg Arraki
It was the year for gay cinema as "Brokeback Mountain" pushed it to be mainstream. As I liked that film, but found it to be "Hollywood", I think "Mysterious Skin" was better. It was truly a movie that will stick with after you've watch it. Arraki is usually regulated as "guilty pleasure"...to just plain awful, but his style is really cool. As he handles dark subjects, this is by far his darkest. He doesn't go into the void of melo-drama or sentimentality. He is the New Wave Pasolini! His best film to date.
3.Serenity-Joss Whedon
Others will consider it as sci-fi fluff or just overrated, but I found it to be underrated and always admired Joss Whedon's writing. The movie is like John Ford and David Mamet(without the cussing) in space. The movie isn't spent on technological advancements but resolved in good dialogue and an unfolding story. The movie is fair on the look, but if you close your eyes and listen to the dialogue its like poetry. Plus, Chiwetel Ejiofor(The "Nigerian Homie" from "Dirty Pretty Things") is in it and plays one suave bad guy.
4. Hustle & Flow-Dir. Craig Brewer
Word...What can I say? Terrence Howard does it again, another movie to showcase his talents and co-star Ludacris. WOW, and the music is off the hook. While the character is hard to relate to, you'll still find yourself following him and understanding his pain...through some dope ass music. It doesn't goe into the trappings of urban films or doesn't kid itself of being an art film. All in all its just a great film with a purpose and a great performance!
5. Palindromes-Todd Solondz
As absurd and twisted the film may be, it was a guilty pleasure and really funny. I pushed people to watch it for I talk to them about it and it sparks some amazing conversations. I enjoyed Solondz last film, "Story-Telling" but this just knocked it out of the ball park.
6.Me, You and Everyone We Know-Dir.Miranda July
For a Portland filmmaker, this movie didn't suck. I loved it and think Miranda July is a really cute girl. WOW...That's my review of the movie. It was a really enjoyable film!
7.Where the Truth Lies-Atom Egoyan
Man this was a true guilty pleasure. It's never a guilty pleasure to admire Atom Egoyan, but this movie was so entertaining. It was like a Brian De Palma film, but out did him in some way!
8.Thumbsucker-Dir. Mike Mills
Another film based in Oregon, that actually didn't suck and will make me look forward to Mike Mills career. There wasn't anything impressive, but it wasn't forgettable. I could really relate to the kid because I was on those medications during high school(for a damn good reason). The soundtrack is amazing and almost steals the movie!
9.OldBoy-Dir.Chan-Wook Park
Nominated for the Cannes Jury prize of 2004, but got a slow release date till 2005. Its a great movie. I saw it twice and took my mom the second time. I love Korean cinema and this is at the fore front of the Korean New Wave. If you get the twist and watch it again, its still enjoyable again and again. I believe so!
10.Crash-Dir.Paul Haggis
Its so typical of me to have this on my top ten list, but it actually got to me. It was like Spike Lee directing a Robert Altman film. I think I'm the only that has to say it but here it goes...LUDACRIS NEEDS AN OSCAR!

Well that's my list of 2005, its here PLAYA! As for this year, 2006 seem to be promising and I can't wait.


0 comments: