THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, November 21, 2005

A movie that just Entered My Top Ten List!!!! Le Jour se Leve AKA. Daybreak

Left: Clip of Jean Gabin and Arletty Right:Original poster for Marcel Carne's DayBreak.























I just saw Marcel Carne's "Le Jour Se Leve" (eng. trans. DayBreak) on TCM last night, it was apart of the international cinema night on Fridays, they do it every week. I'm always up for what TCM puts, they show some out of print stuff that I schedule for myself to record. They had a whole retrospective on Luis Bunuel and showed "The Exterminating Angel","Los Ovidaldos", and "Viridiana", it was awesome. I love that channel, always having Robert Osborne always wearing an Italian suit and groomed hair coming out of a staged lobby presenting movies. That must be the most coolest job ever. Sometimes I think he lives in that lobby and once all the camera crew leave their all like,"Goodnight Mr. Osborne", and hes all like,"I see y'all in the morning", and he crashes on that couch thats on the set. I doubt it, but that would be funny if he did. I would if I had that job. Anyway, back to the initial of a movie that just entered in my TOP 10 list, I have been familiar with Marcel Carne's previous work like "Port of Shadows" and "Children of Paradise", which is like France's "Gone with the Wind". I heard about this movie and just stumbled upon it on cable on Friday night and loved it. It stuck with me for a while and had everything I wanted in a film. Marcel Carne is apart of certain group of Poetic-realist movement that consisted of Jean Cocteau and Jean Vigo. As film can be poetry, this film displays that very well and tend to be poetic. Enough, of the sappy poetic stuff, what makes this films so perfect to you Aliye. Let get into the story, it stars Jean Gabin(A man that owns up to the title of a French Humphrey Bogart), playing a working man that ended killing this hustler/pimp. He then entraps himself in his apartment, while threaten to kill anyone who enters. The police hound him and he tries to detract every plan of them getting in. The police shoot down the door and windows,(rumor to be real bullets to capture real life) and he still won't budge and come out. The whole story doesn't stem from him trying to survive this, instead the film takes a non-linear approach and uses flashbacks to present a story of him falling in love and giving revelation of why he killed the hustler. Jacqueline Laurent co-stars(looking fine) who plays his love interest, he is also tempted by another love played by Arletty(also looking devilishly fine). The movie may sound boring, but it is not. From the opening to the last it is gripping. All this sub-love interest turns out to the fact that he killed this man. As beautiful as every frame and shot, it is true poetry and realism. I was so happy to see a print of this on cable or anywhere. As simplistic the storytelling can be, the camerawork is very innovative. It written great, but its style doesn't still the show but is a plus to adore while watching it. The use of long takes and fading in shots of objects being there and disappearing is useful for the flashbacks. The camera work where they go into the next room or down stairs and it is just one long take that the follows them behind a set. It's just genius and beautiful. I have to stop sweating on this movie and should make people see for themselves!!!!! Please and try to get a copy of this movie, you won't be disappointed. The other subject I want to add is Jean Gabin, he is just great. He pratically steals the show. The one thing that made me stay tuned to this movie is that it it opened up with a murder, how the hell could I resist. When you are done with the movie, it still leaves you with something. Even if you figure out the reason why he killed the man or the twist, it is still a movie that has a merit of watching again and again. I believe it is that perfect. When you already know the storyline, its still not compared to how it is executed. Please somebody check this out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 comments: