THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, November 21, 2005

Henri Langlois: Phantom of the Cinematheque (The Greatest Cinephile ever!!!!!!!)


I'm gonna open up with this review of the documentary based on the greatest cinephile ever, who revived so many classic prints of films that were lost in WWII and were entirely unavailable and thrown away after initial release. To get back to my point of opening the review with what Henri Langlois said in the film. He was asked the difference between a cinephile and a cinephage( Eng. Trans. Film nerd), the difference was that a cinephage comes into a theatre and with his notes waits until the movie ends and credits roll and he writes down the names. You ask him about the film, he has no opinion or knows nothing, he can just give you facts. Cinephile is different because you ask him what the movie was about he would have an answer. He said Francois Truffaut was true cinephile in that case. I hope I live up to that title and just not coping a field with stating my site "The 19 year old cinephile". I don't want to live up to Francois TRuffaut's standards, how can you and why would you. Just take his teachings and extend his view, don't just copy. Anyway, that part int he movie really impacted on me. I've been waiting to se this movie ever since I heard it's initial release at the Cannes film Festival last year. The Whitsell Auditorium presents and I saw it opening day. It always interest me to give a full explanation of what Langlois stood for and what other way to learn it then by cinema. I heard their was also another documentary made on him back in the 70's, but it was out of print. This examination doesn't succumb to a standard documentary, but rather an essay on him. The movie include rare footage and new interview footage of people that he influenced. From the French New wave of Claude Chabrol, Jean-luc Godard, Francois Truffaut, Jean Rouch, Agnes VArda and Eric Rohmer. new interview is also spliced into this essay from one of my personal favorites of the French new WAve, Claude Chabrol. He(Claude Chabrol) gets into on his childhood growing with Henri Langlois presenting these movies at the cinematheque. The whole line and mobs at the front and the packed theatres and marches. Chabrol, Godard and Truffaut whose to just sit up in the theatres and lie down on the floor just kicking it. The movie isn't only about the influence it had on the French New Wave, but Langlois captivating people internationally by showing movie from other countries and having so many people fro the film world of Hollywood like Nicholas RAy and John Ford. Langlois' enthusiasm to collect stuff from every director he asked, from the original dress of "Gone with the Wind", to the skeleton mom from "Psycho". He pretty much saved cinema, he never wanted to be filmmaker but to show the world its beauty. He made cinephilia cool. He is the original cinephile and the pope of a church that belongs to film only. One of the critics in the movie, I forgot who it was, but he said that young kids today don't know how important it was to have a theatre that had all these films that were hard to see. Today kids have access to anything, from DVD to VHS. not entirely true, because it my state there are still films that have not reached the stage of DVD and are still hard to get. A place where I'm from has not very many revival houses, but then again back in those days it only took one to start cinema revolution. I wish a theatre like that still existed today, I'll be going there everyday. In Bernardo Bertolucci's "The Dreamers", it was an autobiographical love letter to this theatre and Henri Langlois. Where that movie spoke of its effect, this talks about how it came to be and why it was something to fight for. I love this movie!!!!!!!! To rest who might be interested, go see it, it gets my approval!!!!!!! This Aliye Nyoka saying PEACE OUT!!!!!!!!!!

0 comments: