THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, November 14, 2005

Back in the day when I was young and I'm not anymore but someday I wish......

Giaretta GianCarlo on the left screaming in Bruno Mattei's "RAts" and on the Right are two pictures of 1)Is Chris on far left and Giaretta in the middle and me on the right gving thumbs up.2)Giaretta just posing.

















I will tell my tales of a place I used to work at called Videorama, where I met Christopher Dennis Carson who conducted this interview that was used in a local paper and his gonna be the first interview displayed on this site. Plus i believe Chris did a good job and I'll introduce you to the man that taught me everything I know about movies and still has my back all the way in Chicago. I will also tell you many stories about how Chris stumbled upon this interview with a Euro-Trash star. It was a Haley's comet that night in North Portland.
Chris Dennis Carson grew up as kid with an appetite for Italian horror films, with help from his mother he endured the masterworks from Lucio Fulci, Dario Argento, Lamberto Bava, Mario BAva and Bruno Mattei. He also is a huge Charles Bronson fan and loves most of the "Death Wish" series. The kid grew up to be awalking IMDB. AFter getting a stint working two years at Movie Madness after getting fired for calling an obscenity to owner Mike Clark (Chris' story is funny and only he could tell it, which he will). Then afterwards headed to North Portland and worked at Videorama (then called Video Chest.) That's where I noticed him and he pretty much got me the job. It was a blast working with Chris and hanging around with him and hearing his stories and trading movie knowledge with him and watching over him when he was druk. Their were the down sides and that lead him to walk out of the job due to manageral conflicts. But before he did, during a time when he was going threw his baby mama taking his kids, his mother dying, going to jail, being on probation. That's when he noticed a woman come into the store, he was weirded out by her nad was trying to put his finger on who she is. Then when she comes up to the counter Chris asked,"I don't mean to be rude, but were in a movie". She was like," YEa.......", right before she could finish the sentence Chris spouted out,"You were in "Demons", the same womanwho was the first person to turn into a Demon in Lamberto Bava's "Demons". Chris started spouting off about how he grew up with "Demons" and Giaretta was taken by his attitude and loved the fact that the store had have a Euro-Trash section. I was standing their the whole time watching Chris buttering his own popcorn. Chris just went crazy and they started talking about Italian directors and the movies she's been in and the director's she worked with. I loved every minute of it, same as Chris(literallly). TO make a long story short and get into the interview, one of the mangers mentioned that their was a polaroid camera for shoplifters in the office. Chris said", YEahhhhh, hold on a minute", he got the polaroid camera took one of him and her and another one with me, Chris and Giaretta(which is the photo int he middle). That making some sort of history for me and adds a lot more history for Chris. After she autographed the store copy of "Demons", and Chris' copy on "Demons". Then Chris left the photo underneath a clear placement matt on the counter for all the customers to see. Then Chris would later conduct an interview with her in the store in the morning. I was graduating from high school at the time and Chris wanted me to make it but I couldn't. Anyway, to get to the interview, this is what came of it and Chris printed it in a local newspaper. I felt that it deserved better than that( even though my blog isn't any better) but i hope you enjoy. It brought back old memories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Interview with Giaretta Giancarlo with Christopher Dennis Carson

Chris: How did you get in the horror film business?

Giancarlo: I flew to Italy and I was an actress: during the early 80's, horror films were a big thing there.

Chris: How was the make-up?

Giancarlo: Full horror gore makeup the whole time. It was psychologically very intense. It's a hard thing to stay in the stinky bloody makeup for ten days. We really got into the characters.

Chris:I bet the contacts were unpleasant.

Giancarlo: The contacts that I wore were bright orange, and they were difficult, but the biggest thing was my nails. It took five hours every morning to have those nails put on, and if you watch the movie (Demons), i'm the girl who goes into the bathroom with a pimple that explodes and infects everybody, so to do that effect, it was cottage cheese and milk under a plastic apprentice. Once that spilled on my clothes for, so I was in stinking spoiled-milk-stained clothes for five days.

Chris:Was Mario Bava in the film? Did you meet him?

Giancarlo: No, I didn't meet Mario. Lamberto was the director on that film, and the person that showed up was Dario Argento. He was the producer and he was on the set every day. And now Asia Argento is quite well known, but if you watch "Demons", it's her sister Thearella who also stars in the movie.

Chris: Asia is in Part Town, right?

Giancarlo:I think so, because Thearella gets killed.

Chris:You were in Lucio Fulci's "Murder Rock". Please tell me about that experience.

Giancarlo: It was great! The woman who played the mom in it, I think it was Anna Tanexis, had just come from playing the head of the dance studio. She was the mom in Prince's "Purple Rain". I know these movies seem really funny now, but she was a well-kwown Greek actress. It was the first time I ever saw the crew give an actress applause after the performance on a set. Then it clicked in me," OH!OH! That's what we're going for! You want to do good performances!" It was really good, but we had all been warned that Lucio had a ferocious temper, and we were told never to talk back to him. One guy tried it and man I tell you, it didn't work.

Chris: I've read that Fulci was a madman, and sort of a terror on the set of his films. In your experience, did you ever see him flip out on people?

Giancarlo: Yes, I saw him flip out on one of the young male actors, but you were well warned. In Italy you learn a lot about talking back directors, and now that I am a director, I hate it when people do it to me. You were told "Don't talk back to Lucio", and as long as you didn't, he was fine. Filmmaking is not a democracy.

Chris: Have you done any other film acting over the years?

Giancarlo:I was in Susan Sidelman's first film, the one that made her famous enough to do "Desperately Seeking Susan". I was in "Smithereens". I think my last film was something called "Mafia Bride" with Carol Alt. It's a mini series here, and it did really well. In 1992, I stopped acting and attended the American Film institute and graduated from there.

Chris: What are you doing thes days?

Giancarlo: I'm a film director, and I'm here in Oregon making my second film. it's called "White Patty". We're shooting here in August and September. So far, it's starring Kareem Abdul Jabar and Debra Wilson from Mad TV. It's a funky romp from the 70's about a young married woman woman falls in love with her child-abusing neighbor, and the screenplay was a Sundance finalist.

Chris:What's favorite horror film?

Giancarlo: My favorite film, it's not even a horror film; It's Hitchcock's "The Birds".

Chris:Who is your favorite horror director?

Giancarlo: George Romero.

Chris:Do you think David Warbeck would have made a good James Bond?

Giancarlo: At that time and place, yes; today, no".

Transcipt from August 2004

I would like to take this time to state the reason why I took the time to present this on my website. Not to long ago I was fired at Videorama two weeks ago on a Sunday. I started this website, because a friend told me I should look into it. i'm 19 and carry with a lot movie memorabilia and just personal memorabilia, and i have all these movie in my head i just have to express them some how. I would later persuade Chris to write reviews on this site, if not than I'll rely on other folks. During my week of unemployment, Chris called me on a Friday all the way the from Chicago after he heard I was fired. He called the store and told the managers that they were a bunch of bitches and said "I got you back dogg, even from all the way from Chicago......Nigga!". That made my Friday, I thought for doing that I honor him by putting up this interview for me and for other people. It captured a time in my life during high school that i liked, But of course the only constant is change. Alright, enough getting sappy. That's why the title of this post "Back in the day when I was young and I'm not anymore but somday I wish........", that's what I'm getting at. Then again I got nothing to complain I'm just 19 and I should move on and getting fired is not the end of the world. It just feels so good to look back. Enough, it's time to move on and get back to reviewing. You can hear me crying over the keyboard. I thank anyone for reading this. Aliye Nyoka saying "Good Night, and Good Luck".

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I stumbled upon your blog post about Chris, and wanted to drop you a line. I used to date him out here in Chicago (haven't really known him since about June of 2007) and I remember him telling me this story over and over again! I've seen lots of pictures from the video store days.
I don't know if you've already heard - but Chris passed away this year in July. I don't know a whole lot about it, but - it was a sad ending to a sad story. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Anyway - it was people like you and old days like that that really kept him going! I swore he couldn't live in the present because he was so stuck in the past. :) You were one of the people he talked about often.
I do have a project I'm working on that I could definitely use your opinions for. It is related to Chris and his life - Portland is the story I can't seem to get my hands on. If you feel up to it, definitely contact me to talk. Best of luck to you!

Unknown said...

Thanks for giving my brother props. He really was the best. Thanks for the telling it like it was. Take Care, December

Mr. Nyoka said...

Thank You! I've just now remembered I had this blog. But to Jen, since this is quite some time responding I knew of Chris' passing. I got the call when I was in Salt Lake about to go to a wedding. I was torn. As for December, reading this blog and now looking back it gives me a sense of nostalgia and I have more stuff that Chris left behind that I can comment on. He was a great friend and I know everyone who knew him will miss him dearly!

Sincerely,
Aliye Nyoka

Anonymous said...

You should his last interview with me. It would give you pause.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I know this blog is pretty old... I hope you'll see this. I'd like to stay anonymous, but I will say I'm one of the girls he dated for a couple months out here in Chicago in the early part of 2008...
I decided to look him up a while back and found out that he had passed, sadly. But that's all I know. He was so young and I can't help but wonder what in the world happened.
I decided to look around again to see what I could find, and this is the closest I've come. Can you tell me anything? If you'd prefer not to go into detail here, please let me know and I'll give you my email so we can pm.
I didn't know him for all that long, and we went our separate ways in the end, but Chris certainly always made me laugh and put a smile on my face. I'm sorry we couldn't reconnect as friends, as I had hoped. R.I.P.